Thespians off to a great start

Theater students here at Weston got their first shot at performing on Tuesday. Students performed monologues to express their feelings and lifestyle. The actors had the opportunity to write and perform personal narratives. While the speeches were mostly private, Ms. Stogner’s students illustrated and demonstrated their abilities touchingly and poignantly, sharing stories of personal issues and their families.

The creativity involved to produce these monologues were quite a time-intensive. While some say it took them up to 30 minutes to create, others said more than 24 hours were needed to find just the right words. Most students were kind of nervous about expressing how they feel, but the audience certainly felt the emotions the actors produced.

Ms. Stogner, the VAPA drama and theater teacher, and adviser, said the students wrote their monologues based on personal experience which they then performed on stage to the class.

“These will possibly be used in competition monologues later on. The purpose is to develop their dramatic performance, for our upcoming social awareness play, which is dramatic-based,” Stogner added.

Dates for the upcoming production are still being finalized. The Prowl will update as we receive more information.