SENIOR SPOTLIGHT: Abraham Villareal

Abraham+Villareal
Abraham Villareal

This week’s Senior Spotlight is on Abraham Villareal.

The Prowl is proud to focus on and highlight Villareal, who is ready to tackle life’s challenges after high school. Abraham has a good plan and knows where he wants to go.

Villareal has been a standout music student since his first day on the Weston Ranch campus. Primarily a tuba player, Villareal also plays saxophone, trombone, clarinet, and bass guitar. In his spare time, he plays the accordion. He has enrolled in music classes at San Joaquin Delta College and joined their “Night Band.” He has been named to the San Joaquin Honor Band twice in 2020 and 2022. He also is a member of a band called “Los De La Fina.”

“Music is my life,” Abraham said. “I enjoy trying other things, but I probably don’t try very long if it isn’t music-related.”

Not only does Villareal love music, but he also loves sharing what he knows and giving back to the community. Abraham spends his spare time tutoring aspiring musicians and hopes to turn that experience into a career as a music teacher.

“I like teaching people things they might not know,” Villareal said. “During my freshman year, I started going down to Great Valley Elementary after school let out. I would grab my trombone to sit in with their music students. I like giving back. I want to share what others have taught me because they took the time to help me be a better musician and person. So I feel like I should do the same thing.”

Villareal plans to attend San Joaquin Delta College in the Fall and hopes to transfer to either Sacramento State or Fresno State to pursue a degree in music.

“Music has given me many opportunities and helped me learn many things,” Abraham said. “I’ve met a lot of musicians and developed many friendships. Music helps people connect, and I’ve learned many new things. The best thing I’ve learned is music helps teach people things they might not know about themselves. If I get to give back, I’ll be really proud and happy, and maybe someone will follow in my footsteps.”