Boys Volleyball Goes Undefeated in SJAA and Await Post Season.

Boys volleyball wrapped up their season on April 26 by defeating Chavez HS in three straight sets. The Cougars won by scores of 25-17, 25-21, and 25-16. Weston Ranch finished 21-4 overall and a perfect 12-0 in the SJAA to claim its first championship in the new league.

“The boys played well against Chavez and brought great energy,” head coach Rebecca Kinlaw said. “They were able to channel their energy into great digs and kills. Seeing all their hard work pay off when they won was so awesome.”

Eleazar Nava led WR with 29 assists. Tommy Duong had seven digs.
James Gelisanga had a great night contributing seven kills, three assists, and eight digs. Diego Montes helped the scoring with 17 digs, and Abraham Palacios added ten kills and 11 digs. Amari Dacus rounded out the stats with eight kills and three blocks.

On its way to the undefeated season in the SJAA, Weston Ranch won 36 sets and lost only six. They also collected seven 3-0 match sweeps. The impressive run helped the Cougars earn a #16 ranking for the Sac-Joaquin Section.

“I’m really proud of this team for winning the SJAA championship,” Kinlaw said. ‘That was one of their goals at the beginning of the season, and I am so happy that they could meet that goal. The boys have been working hard during practice and have done a great job of buying into everything the coaches have taught them.”

The Cougars will move on to post-season play next week in the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section D1 tournament. Tournament brackets have yet to be released.

Kinlaw concluded, “One of the qualities I admire most about this team is how every athlete gets so excited when their teammates thrive on the court. They do a great job of celebrating the moments of success and supporting each other when someone is struggling. The team has created a brotherhood system, and they have a great camaraderie amongst each other.”