Former WR Football Star Elijah Harper Hopes NFL Has His Number

Elijah Harpers leads Adams State onto the field.

Former Weston Ranch High School student Elijah Harper always wanted to be a football player. Harper began playing at the age of two, and now, 21 years later, he’s getting ready for the biggest football weekend of his life: the NFL Draft. Harper has received many calls about his football future, but this weekend’s call will be his most significant.

Harper, a 2017 Weston Ranch graduate, worked hard to get into this position. He led the Cougars in receiving in 2017 with 25 receptions for 381 yards and three TDs his senior year. After that big year, he expected to get calls from D1 schools looking for a wide receiver. But, unfortunately, the calls didn’t come. So he left Weston Ranch for San Mateo Community College, spent two years there working on his grades and skills, earned a National Championship, and again waited for the D1 schools to call.

Similarly, they didn’t call. Finally, however, Elijah got a call from Adams State University in Colorado and took full advantage of his opportunity. In two years, Harper amassed 94 receptions for 1412 yards and 13 TDs. He also returned 27 kicks, including one for a TD. Again, it was a testament to his goals, objectives, and work ethic.

“I’ve always been a hard worker,” Harper told The Prowl from his Las Vegas residence. “No matter what, I will give 100% in everything I do. I have a positive mindset, and I put in the time, whether in the classroom or on the football field. I always wanted to be the best and worked hard to prove it.”

And that hard work and positive mindset caught the attention of the NFL. Teams will start selecting college players tomorrow night for Round 1, with Rounds 2-7 concluding on Saturday. NFL teams have done their due diligence on potential draft picks, and Harper hopes to be one of the lucky ones.

“I had a private workout with the 49ers a few days ago,” Harper said. “I grew up a 49ers fan, and playing for San Francisco would be a dream come true. I’m grateful they showed an interest.”

But it’s not only the 49ers who may call Harpers sometime this weekend. Other teams around the league have expressed interest and contacted Harper’s agent.

“I received many calls from the Colts, Bengals, Dolphins, Raiders, and Ravens,” Harper added. “If the 49ers can’t make it work, I’d love to play for Baltimore. Having a chance to play with (Ravens’ QB) Lamar Jackson would be an honor. They have a good offense, and I think I would be a good fit. I also like that they’re in the playoff hunt most years.”

Harper added, “I’ve been told I might get picked in the 6th or 7th rounds. Sometimes DII players don’t get drafted, and I’m alright with that. If that is the case, I can sign as a free agent, which might be better because I can pick the best place. Whatever happens, the team I end up with will get my best effort.”

Harper has been working out since his career at Adams State concluded in December of 2022. His preparation has been exemplary.

“I’ve been staying in shape since December,” Harper said. “I work out six days a week. I worked hard to prepare for my Pro Day with San Francisco, learning routes I’ll be expected to run in the NFL. Hopefully, I showed them enough to receive their call.”

In addition to working toward an NFL career, Harper is set to graduate from Adams State next month with a degree in Business Management.

It has been a long journey since spending days tossing the football with friends at August Knodt and George Komure elementary schools and Weston Ranch High School. Then, his drive to be the best and to push himself always to be successful took him to San Mateo and Colorado. And now, all that hard work might help him take another adventure and secure a lifelong dream of playing in the NFL. The Prowl hopes he gets the call.

Former WR standout Elijah Harper makes move for more yards.
Elijah Harper returns kick for Adams State.