Baseball Soars Past Eagles 14-4

Weston Ranch baseball slugged their way past McNair yesterday at Weston Ranch. The Cougars exploded for nine runs in the fourth and fifth innings en route to the 14-4 mercy rule six-inning victory.

“We had the intent to play our baseball style yesterday,” head coach David Hager said. “We did a primarily positive job maintaining our engagement throughout the game.”

Fernando Vargas collected two hits, including a triple, and had three RBI. Vargas’ triple helped Weston Ranch get out to an early 4-0 nothing lead in the second inning and set the tone for an outstanding day at the plate for the Cougars. The Cougars banged out 11 hits and totaled 12 RBI for the day.

“Fernando put together quality at-bats hitting three balls hard, including that triple to the gap,” Hager said. “Vargas hit in the third spot today. We’ve had lots of guys in that spot, and today Fernando took charge and got us going.”

Ayden Tinsley went the distance for Weston Ranch on the mound. The junior scattered seven hits, struck out eight and walked four McNair batters. Tinsley ran into some troubles in the top of the third, giving up four runs, but managed to work through some issues to close the inning.

“Ayden pitched pretty well for us today,” Hager said. “He struggled with mechanics and location in the third but persevered in his effort to lead us to a win.”

Jordan Paris went 2-4 and had two RBI. Paris’ opposite-field single in the fourth inning was the big blow in the 5-run, Cougars fourth inning.

“Jordan came up with a couple of big hits for us and helped us extend the lead,” Hager said. “His single in the fourth was a great piece of hitting as he connected for a great opposite field hit.”

Alejandro Piedra collected two hits and one RBI; Jose Aguilar had one hit and scored three runs; Namir Brown-Sanger had one hit, one RBI, and scored two runs; Matteo Duron had one hit and two RBI.

Yesterday’s win over McNair evened Weston Ranch’s SJAA record at 3-3. Both teams will meet up again tomorrow at McNair.