Seniors Janay Holmes and Kimani Wilburn Ready for Next Level

Janay Holmes and Kimani Wilburn have been part of the Weston Ranch basketball program for the past three years. The duo will continue to be teammates as each selected Solano Community College of Fairfield as the next stop in their education and basketball journeys.

“We are very excited about Janay and Kimani joining our women’s basketball family at Solano,” Falcons head coach Matt Bochert stated. “They will both help us continue and enhance our tradition of excelling on and off the court in the state and the Bay Valley Conference.”

Holmes averaged 15 points per game for Weston Ranch and helped lead the Lady Cougars to an 18-8 overall record and a share of the SJAA league championship. She was named to the SJAA’s All-League First Team and selected as WR’s MVP.

“I’m excited,” said Holmes. “Solano was the first school to contact me, which offered me a visit. Choosing them was the right choice because they were genuinely interested in me as a person and basketball player. In addition, the coaches immediately made me feel like I was part of the program.”

Borchert added, “Janay is a hard-working, dedicated player. Janay is a solid student and a versatile basketball player who can play multiple positions for us. We are excited about Janay’s shooting ability and length. Janay’s versatility will create offensive and defensive match-up issues for opponents, so we can’t wait to work with her daily.”

Wilburn averaged seven points, six rebounds, and two assists per game. She was named Honorable Mention for the SJAA All-League Team and awarded WR’s Most Inspirational Player award.

“I wasn’t sure if I wanted to play basketball anymore,” Wilburn said. “Solano visited a few of our games and invited me to see the campus. Their interest in me was eye-opening. They convinced me to keep playing basketball. The coaches and counselors at Solano made me feel good about who I am and who I could be as a student and basketball player.”

Borchert added, “Kimani is also a great student who fits our criteria of a hard-working, vocal, and “low maintenance” student-athlete. Kimani gives our team size and strength along with good court vision. Kimani can play multiple positions and score at all three levels. We are very excited to be a part of her growth and see her continue to reach her full potential as a basketball player.”

Holmes and Wilburn will also be teammates in their pursuit of degrees in Sports Medicine. Both have set their sights on goals beyond the court and will look to give back to future athletes.

“It will be exciting to be Janay’s teammate again,” Wilburn said. “Being the dynamic duo for a few more years will be fun.”

Holmes added, “Kimani is a great teammate, and I look forward to our next adventure at a higher level.”