Girls Soccer Says Thank You to the Seniors

Weston Ranch girls soccer said goodbye and thank you to their Seniors on Feb. 3. After a beautiful pregame ceremony, the Cougars were scheduled to take the field against Chavez, but the Titans forfeited the game.

However, the no-show by Chavez couldn’t diminish an otherwise excellent evening of Weston Ranch girls soccer. The Cougars have impressed this season with their dedication and overall improvement. Weston Ranch won just one game in 2021-2022 and zero games in the Valley Oak League. This year, coach Bailey Nelson’s program has tallied seven overall wins, with four coming in the SJAA. It has been a remarkable turnaround in Nelson’s first year as the varsity coach, and the seniors played a big part in the transformation.

Cougar girls soccer looks to be building a tradition. The four seniors playing for the final time at Weston Ranch were great examples of each member of the program’s dedication. Their contributions will no doubt be part of their legacies.

The Prowl asked Nelson to write about her seniors. What follows is Nelson’s tribute to these terrific student-athletes who displayed heart, courage, and joy playing the game each of them loves.

Cristal Garcia: I have had the privilege of coaching Cristal her freshman year and this year! She came in with little soccer experience but is always willing to ask questions and learn the game. She stepped up as a leader her freshman year and earned her spot as Captain among her teammates. Now as a senior, she leads by example and helps her teammates improve each time. She is always asking questions and leading her team with victories. I am proud of the young adult Cristal has become, and I hope she continues to work hard toward her goals.

Cristal Garcia

Kendra Sanchez: Kendra is another player that I have had the opportunity to know since her freshman year. She may be quiet, but she always looks for ways to improve and lead her team. Kendra is a dedicated player who is willing to take on any challenge. She never stops fighting, even during our most demanding days. Through her dedication to the program, Kendra has improved immensely. I will be sad to see her go but excited to see what the future has in store. Kendra keeps up the fight and is an essential part of the team.

Kendra Sanchez

Lizeth Martinez: My third senior I have known since her freshman year! Lizeth had to be one of the quietest students/players ever, but as soon as you put her on the field, she will fight to the very end. She is one of my most aggressive players. I can always count on her to put the opposing team in their places. She has a positive attitude and will continue to work hard on and off the field. She is an inspiration to many student-athletes. While she is dedicated to the soccer program, she is also involved in other programs on campus and gives 100% to everything she does.

Lizeth Martinez

Isabelle Mayorca: When Isa was in my Algebra 2 class, I discovered that she and her sister used to play soccer. Knowing this, I pushed them to play during their Junior and Sophomore years. Now Isa is a senior and is a wonderful student-athlete. She is one of my best communicators in the field. Isabelle can hold the defensive line and protects her teammates at all costs. She always defends her teammates against opposing teams. She is always willing to improve her game. Isa is involved in more than the soccer team. She played WR volleyball and is also our current MUSD student-board representative. No matter what Isa is involved with, she gives it her full attention and works tirelessly to improve herself.

Isabelle Mayorca

Nelson concluded with, “I am incredibly proud of these girls for all their hard work. They have taught me how to be a better coach. They are my first graduating coaching players at the Varsity level, and I will always have a special place in my heart for them.”

The four seniors will have two more games before they finish their Weston Ranch careers. The Cougars play Franklin tonight at Weston Ranch and Linden at Linden on Feb. 9. Both games begin at 7 p.m.