Boys Basketball Takes on Titans Tonight at Weston Ranch

Varsity boys basketball plays Chavez High School tonight at Weston Ranch. The Cougars will look to build on their recent successes as they welcome the 12-5 Titans for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff.

Weston Ranch boys basketball made it through the exhausting part of its pre-season. After a disappointing 2-8 start and an opening SJAA loss to Edison, the Cougars have rattled off five straight wins and improved their overall record to 7-9 and 3-1 in league play. And, in the past five games, Weston Ranch has scored 426 points (averaging 85 per game) and has held opponents to 258 points (51 points per game). The fast pace and smothering defense, two program staples, have astoundingly manifested themselves as opponents have discovered.

On the offensive side, SR. Elijah Mobley continues his solid play and leads the Cougs in scoring average with 17, while Richard Banks and Khristian Holmes average 12 points per game. In addition, Holmes leads Weston Ranch in assists with five per game.

Defensively, Banks and Elliot Mobley lead in steals with three each per game. Holmes leads the Cougars in defensive rebounds with five.

Chavez comes into tonight’s game 2-2 in the SJAA and currently sits in fourth place. The Titans are led by SR. point guard Terrel Tek and his 17 points per game. The Stockton Record recently listed Chavez as a Top 10 team in San Joaquin County.

Tonight’s varsity game is part of a triple-header. The Freshmen take the floor at 4:30 p.m., and the JV will follow at 6.