GIRLS BASKETBALL: Lady Cougars Get Tough and Get Past Sierra

Weston Ranch squeaked by Sierra High School 32-27 in last Friday night’s girls varsity basketball game at Weston Ranch. In an evening filled with fouls, turnovers, and questionable behavior from the Timberwolves’ parents, the Lady Cougars found a way to stay focused and earn a hard-fought win over their former VOL rivals in a non-conference game.

“It was a tough game for us,” said Kimani Wilburn. “We worked well together as a team. We ensured our communication was on point and dealt with the challenges.”

Anisa Hekimian and Wilburn scored eight points apiece to lead Weston Ranch. Janay Holmes added five points. Wilburn and Hekimian came off the bench for the Lady Cougars and helped control the Weston Ranch emotions with their leadership.

After trailing 16-11 in the first half, Weston Ranch scored seven straight points, with Wilburn tying the game at 16 with a 3-pointer to take an 18-16 lead with 1:00 remaining in the half. Sierra tied it back up with a pair of free throws, and the Lady Cougars got a basket from Hekimian as the first half concluded for a 20-18 first-half lead.

The second half began and saw both teams struggle to score points. Neither team could break away from the other, as the second half was a defensive battle. Sierra managed to grab a 3rd quarter 24-23 lead with 2:27 remaining, but Weston Ranch tied the game as the clock wound down. The Timberwolves made one free throw and took a 25-24 lead.

The Lady Cougars tied it at 25 in the opening moments of the 4th quarter, lost it moments later on a Sierra free throw, and recaptured the lead on a Hekimian layup. Weston Ranch then hit five free throws for the remainder of the quarter, eventually putting the game away. The Lady Cougars held the Timberwolves to two 4th quarter points en route to the five-point victory.

Free throw shooting was the key to the Weston Ranch win. The Lady Cougars finished 17-30 from the line.

In earlier action, the Weston Ranch freshman lost 39-13, and the JV lost 63-24.

Weston Ranch will return to SJAA action when they take on Stagg High School on January 10th at Stagg. Games begin at 4 (Freshman), 5:30 (JV), and 7 (Varsity).