BOYS BASKETBALL: Cougars Face Vikings Tonight at Weston Ranch

Weston Ranch boys basketball makes its SJAA debut tonight against the Edison High School Vikings. After struggling during the pre-season, the Cougars will get to hit the reset button as they enter league play. Weston Ranch went into the pre-season with high expectations but finished with more losses than expected. However, a strong SJAA start will go a long way to help put the past struggles behind them. But first, the Cougars (2-8) will have to get past Edison (6-3), another top-level program, if they want to begin 2023 on a happy note.

“It’ll be a good early test for our team as we transition to a new league,” said head coach Nicholas Podesta. “They have great size and are very talented, and I’m sure they’ll play with incredible energy tonight.” 

Edison will be another big challenge for the Cougars. The Vikings went 22-8 in 2021-2022 and are defending SJAA champions. Tonight’s game promises to be fast and furious, and Weston Ranch must be up to the task of guarding Leon Mills of Edison.

Mills is one of the Vikings’ talented players Weston Ranch must be ready to defend. The 6’1″ senior guard leads Edison in scoring (23), assists (5), and steals (2.7) and is second on the team in rebounding (5.8). So, finding a way to corral Mills will be priority number one for the Cougars.

Weston Ranch will rely on Elijah Mobley, Khristian Holmes, and Richard Banks to help with Mills and provide scoring. Mobley averages 18 points per game, while Holmes tosses in 13 and Banks adds 10. However, the Cougars will need to shoot better on the floor (43%), free throw line (55%), and three-point line (32%) if they want to keep up with Edison and take down the Vikings for their first-ever SJAA win.  

“We’re going to get their best game, and we’ll have to be ready to play our best as well,” Podesta said.

All three levels play tonight at Weston Ranch. The freshman begins at 4:30. The JV plays at 6, and the Varsity tips off at 7:30. It is recommended to purchase tickets early and through GoFan at Weston Ranch High School Events and Tickets by GoFan