Girls Basketball Drops Home Opener to Calaveras

Weston Ranch girls basketball lost to Calaveras High School, 57-42, yesterday at Weston Ranch.

Making its home debut, Weston Ranch knew it would have its hands full with the Redhawks. Calaveras went 29-5 and were 10-0 in the Mother Lode League during its 2021-2022 season. They also returned six seniors from that team, including speedy SR point guard Bailie Clark, so Weston Ranch knew it would take a great effort.

The Lady Cougars led 14-12 after the first quarter but let the lead get away in the second quarter as the Redhawks outscored Weston Ranch 16-8 and took a 28-22 halftime lead. Both teams scored 11 points in the third quarter, and Calaveras clung to a 39-33 lead heading into the fourth and final quarter. However, the Redhawks scored 18 points and held the Lady Cougars to nine to secure the 15-point win.

“We played better than our last game,” said senior Kimani Wilburn. “Our energy was down at halftime, but we came and had a strong third quarter.”

Calaveras controlled the tempo in the fourth quarter. The Redhawks used a 9-0 run to build a 48-33 lead and never looked back. Weston Ranch tried to pressure, but Clark and her teammates took advantage of the Lady Cougars defensive miscues to score multiple uncontested baskets.

“In the fourth quarter, we struggled with getting looks and couldn’t get the ball down to our post players. Also, we couldn’t get on the same page with our passing.”

Janay Holmes led Weston Ranch in scoring with 22 points, with 19 coming in quarters 2, 3, and 4. Anisa Hekimian added five points. Wilburn finished with three.

The loss drops Weston Ranch to 0-2 for the season. However, this team does have talented players, and Wilburn thinks it will head in a positive direction soon.

“We need to get our confidence back,” Wilburn said. “We have good basketball players on this team, and we know we will improve.”

Weston Ranch plays Gregori High School of Modesto on November 28 at Weston Ranch in the annual Foundation Game. Tip-off is scheduled for 6 pm.