BOYS VOLLEYBALL: Cougars Crush Kimball, 3-1

Boys volleyball got a much-needed victory when they defeated Kimball HS 3-1 last night at Kimball High School. The win stopped a three-game losing streak and evened their Valley Oak League record at 2-2, moving them into sole possession of third place with six games remaining in VOL play.

The Cougars won by scores of 25-16, 25-16, 22-25, and 25-16.

“I was so excited for the boys to get the win tonight,” said head coach Rebecca Kinlaw. “The boys did a great job of working together and covering each other, so there were many plays where people were in the right place at the right time.”

Helping to get the Cougars into the right places was Eleazar Nava. The sophomore setter had a whopping 37 assists, with four kills and four aces to pace the Cougars. Nava dished out perfect passes and set the Cougars up for easy finishes in games 1, 2, and 4.

Abraham Palacios led Weston Ranch in kills with 13. Marcos Arriaza added seven kills, James Gelisange put away six, and Josiah Zamarripa chipped in with five.

Palacios served up four aces.

Newcomer Amari Dacus continues to improve as he tied Palacios with four aces of his own and collected three kills.

“The back row passers (Maeson Bayot, John Legaspi, Diego Montes, Tommy Duong) set the tone for the game, and we’re able to get the ball to our setter successfully, so it allowed our team to execute at the net.”

Weston Ranch is now 9-10 on the year and hosts Manteca on April 12.