BOYS TENNIS: Cougars Sweep Lancers

In perhaps the biggest win in the program’s history, the Weston Ranch Cougars shut out the visiting East Union Lancers 7-0 yesterday at Weston Ranch.

The Cougars didn’t lose a set in either singles or doubles on their way to the win. The Cougars posted victories in all six singles matches and one win in doubles. The final two doubles matches were declared forfeit wins for Weston Ranch.

“Despite the tennis experience the East Union team had over us, the rookie players were able to dominate their counterparts in the matches as none went to the third set tiebreaker,” said head coach Michael Cerezo. “We were more aggressive with our swings and more accurate with our serves which is a testament to how hardworking the boys are during practice.”

Weston Ranch got singles wins from Victor Perez (6-1, 6-2), Frankie Ambriz (6-4, 6-4), Ruben Avalos (6-2, 6-2), Manvir Singh (6-3, 6-0), Junior Alejo (6-4, 6-2), and Ben Moua (6-0, 6-2). The doubles team of Jonathan Sierra and Yair Trujillo bested their opponents 6-3, 6-3.

Yesterday’s win over the Lancers was the first of the year for the Cougars, and their first win in Valley Oak League play. The Cougars play Freedom High School of Oakley tomorrow at Freedom.