BASEBALL: Cougars Ground Eagles 10-2

Joshua Ordner provided the pitching, Zayle Brown-Sanger and Fernando Vargas provided the offensive pop, and the Cougars trounced the McNair Eagles 10-2 in a darkness-called six inning game yesterday at McNair High School. Ordner got the starting assignment late but responded to the call admirably.

“We have four games this week, and we weren’t sure who was going to pitch yesterday,” said head coach David Hager. “Josh threw a bullpen session at Chavez on Tuesday and convinced us he could be our guy today against McNair.”

And the guy he was. Ordner went all six innings for the Cougars, threw 86 pitches, gave up two hits and two runs, and struck out five Eagles.

“Joshua competed for us, and I’m really proud of him for that,” Hager said.

The Cougars bounced back offensively after scoring just two runs on Tuesday in a 10-2 loss to Chavez. Weston Ranch exploded for nine runs in the final three innings to bury McNair. Brown-Sanger and Vargas led the attack, each collecting two hits and two RBI. Brown-Sanger also doubled once and walked twice for the Cougars.

“I’m thrilled with the way we bounced back offensively,” Hager said. “When you put the ball in play, good things can happen.”

Weston Ranch improved to 2-2 on the season with yesterday’s win and will be at home today for another game with Chavez High School. The first pitch is scheduled for 3:30.