BASEBALL: Cougars Outlast Lathrop and Win 11-8

Andrew+Montano
Andrew Montano

Cougars baseball picked up their first win yesterday by outlasting Lathrop High School 11-8 yesterday at Lathrop. The Cougars used a 6-run, two-out rally to erase a 3-run Spartan lead and held on to win in a 6-inning game.

“Overall, I was pleased with the win,” said head coach David Hager. “We did enough to get the win. We took care of the ball and had timely hitting.”

After last Saturday’s loss to Soledad High School, the Cougars looked to Lathrop to get back on track. After struggling at the plate against Soledad (two total hits and no runs scored), the Cougars responded to Spartan pitching by banging out 12 hits on the day and collecting 10 RBI. Ayden Tinsley, Andrew Montano, and Christian Cortes provided the offensive power as each had two hits, one double each, and each drove in 2 runs. Alejandro Piedra also had a double and one RBI.

Montano came in to relieve starting pitcher Zyale Brown-Sanger after the second inning and recorded the win for the Cougars. Montano threw four innings, gave up three hits, walked one, and struck out four Spartans. Montano retired eight Lathrop hitters in a row after the Cougars took a 9-6 lead in the fourth and struck out the side in the fifth.

“Andrew settled down and helped seal the win for us,” Hager said. “It was getting dark, so striking out three in the fifth was huge for us heading into what was to be the last inning.”

Weston Ranch is back on the diamond today against Chavez High School at Chavez. The first pitch is scheduled for 3:30. The Cougars will finish out this week with games on March 2nd at McNair High School and return home March 3rd for another tilt with Chavez.

Alejandro Piedra
Zyale Brown-Sanger

Photos courtesy of Wayne Thallender