BASEBALL: Cougars Ready for Upcoming Season

Cougar baseball is back and will begin the 2022 campaign against Soledad High School tomorrow at Soledad. The Cougars look to rebound from a disappointing 3-15 record in 2021 and hope to make one last home run in the pre-season and Valley Oak League before joining the SJAA next year.

“We have a good blend of returning players and new guys,” head coach David Hager told The Prowl from the plush baseball offices on the WRHS campus. “The mix should provide a lot of excitement in our games and our program.”

So, with veteran Varsity players guiding the youngsters, the Cougars will look to build on their strengths to assist them during the games. Weston Ranch always plays good defense and has quality pitching, and Hager will look to each of these to pile up wins.

“We will play strong defense,” said Hager. “I think we will have a good chance to compete in every game because of our pitching. Seniors Dustin Tinsley and Andrew Montano, along with sophomore Ayden Tinsley, will be relied on to help us stay in games.”

Offensively, the Cougars look to senior Christian Cortes and junior Alejandro Piedra to provide the sparks. But the Cougars will need additional help from the others if they have to slug it out with other teams.

“We have room for growth,” Hager said. “We’re counting on Christian and Alejandro to get quality at-bats for us, and hopefully, the younger guys will come through.”

The Cougars are strong at first base and count on senior Zyale Brown-Sanger to anchor the infield. Brown-Sanger will split time between first and third bases with Cortes.

“Zyale is a good leader, and our hope is he will show the new guys what it takes to play the game and help calm any nerves they may have.”

The Cougars will also welcome back senior outfielder Jesus Gonzales, returning to Weston Ranch from Calaveras High School.

“We’re happy he’s back at WR,” Hager said. “He is a great addition to our outfield, and we will definitely be better with him out there.”

One player to watch is freshman Fernando Vargas, who will make his Varsity debut tomorrow. Vargas is talented and an excellent addition to Hager’s club.

“I’m excited to see Fernando play at this level,” said Hager. “He should have a bright future in our program for the next four years.”

So, as we get ready to welcome back Spring, we are ready to welcome back Cougar baseball. After Saturday’s game with Soledad, the Cougars will play I-5 Rival Lathrop HS at Lathrop on Monday, February 28th. Then, the Cougars make their home debut against Chavez HS on March 3rd.