ATHLETES OF THE WEEK: Ella Nykanen and Ahmyri Hall

Senior Ella Nykanen and Freshman Ahmyri Hall were named The Prowl’s Athletes of the Week for their outstanding performances in tennis and football.

Nykanen, a foreign exchange student from Helsinki, Finland, arrived in America and on the Weston Ranch High School campus on September 7. She sought out tennis coach Michael Cerezo, and she found out the team had a match on September 9. So, with only two days between her arrival and her first game, Nykanen took the court against VOL rival Manteca. Her 2.5 hour, 3 set victory (6-3, 6-7 (5), 11-9) was not only remarkable but also very impressive. Nykanen followed up the Manteca win five days later with a 2 set victory (7-5 and 6-4) against Oakdale. Currently, she holds a 2-1 record for the Cougars and will be back on the court on September 21.

Hall, a freshman football player, had a game to remember during last Friday’s 60-22 JV thrashing of Franklin. Hall scored six touchdowns for his team. While that is amazing enough, he scored in all game phases: offense, defense, and special teams. In all, Hall scored three rushing TDs, caught one pass for a TD, returned a kickoff for a TD, and had an interception return for a TD. Hall said, “I couldn’t believe what was happening. I kept asking myself, ‘is that my sixth TD? Wow!'” Hall and his teammates will be back on the field tonight at Kimball High School of Tracy.