Water Polo Making a Splash

Weston Ranch water polo had its official beginning on August 23rd and 25th. While the boys and girls did get some pool time last Spring, the real season began for the Cougars last week. It’s a challenge to start a new sport, both as a team and as a player, but the polo players jumped into the water and looked forward to being the pioneers of this sport at Weston Ranch.

Last week, the Weston Ranch water polo team had their first two games against Bear Creek and Merrill F. West High Schools. Both the boys’ and girls’ teams appeared ready and looked forward to playing the game. Although the games ended in losses for both, the Cougars can look forward to building on the bright spots and growth displayed during the two games.

The girls suffered a lopsided defeat against Bear Creek but kept the game against West close. The girls lost by sixteen points in the first game, but only by three goals in the second game. The team had shown improvement from game one to game two, as shown by the scoreboard.

Since this is a new sport here at Weston Ranch, fielding players are the biggest obstacle. Water polo is demanding physically. If you don’t have substitutes, the demands get even more significant. All the girls played for the entirety of both games due to not having enough members for a replacement, and in the second game, the girls needed to borrow a member from the other team. The boys team only has enough for one substitute.

Although both girls and guys lost their games, both teams have plenty of time to learn and improve. Anyone interested in joining this team should see Coach Basepayne ASAP.