SOCCER: Cougars Can’t Solve Kimball

Boys soccer lost Tuesday’s contest with Kimball 3-1. After reeling off four straight wins, the Jaguars shut the Cougars down and handed Weston Ranch its second VOL loss.

Kimball (3-3) got an early goal in the opening minute of the first half. Weston Ranch (4-2-1) tied it up halfway through on Aaron Silva’s goal, and it looked like Silva’s equalizer settled the Cougars down after the shocking opening minute Kimball goal.

“We gave up a goal in the opening minute of the game and came back with like 15 minutes left to make it 1-1 in the first half,” head coach Francisco Cisneros told The Prowl. “At that point, I thought we had the game, but things just didn’t go our way.”

In the second half, the Jaguars used two goals to pad their lead, and the Cougars couldn’t find the net, ultimately dropping the match and suffering the tough defeat.

The loss drops Weston Ranch to third place in the VOL and now trails first-place East Union and second place Oakdale. Weston Ranch’s soccer program has faced adversity before, and Cisneros knows his club will regroup and rebound from the defeat.

“After watching the game, I can honestly say it wasn’t from a lack of effort,” Cisneros said. “Individually, we had great intensity from players like Ivan Guerra and Angel Zapata along with others. We will learn from this and bounce back.”

The next time the Cougars hit the field will be this Friday as they travel to Ripon Christian for a 5:45 game. The Knights are 2-2 in VOL play, and it will be the first and only time the schools play each other this year. Including Friday’s tilt at Ripon Christian, Weston Ranch has five games remaining in the VOL, including a May 25th rematch with first-place East Union.

Cisneros added, “This is an amazing team, but even great teams have an off night. They hate losing, so I know they will bring their A-game on Friday against Ripon Christian.”

Editors note:  any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is prohibited