BASEBALL: Cougars Drop Opening Game to Sierra

Cougar varsity baseball lost Tuesday’s home conference game against Sierra. After a terrific first inning where Sophomore Dustin Tinsley struck out the side in Sierra’s top half of the first, and the Cougars scored two runs in the bottom of the first, Sierra shut down the Cougars the rest of the way and beat the Cougars 8-2.

The Cougars came into Tuesday’s contest riding a two-game win streak after sweeping a tough Ripon Christian team and looked to use that confidence this week against Sierra. And after the first inning, it looked like the Cougars had an excellent chance to continue their winning ways. However, Sierra’s pitching settled down, and the Timberwolves’ bats came to life in innings two through seven and left the Cougars behind.

“We got off to a fast start,” head coach David Hager told The Prowl. “Tinsley was spectacular in the first, and we scored two runs, so it looked like we had some great momentum.”

The game was close until the top of the seventh. Trailing 3-2, the Cougars needed three outs to get to their half of the seventh bottom to tie it and win it. Sierra exploded for five runs off reliever Rogelio Ruvalcaba and put the game out of reach.

“Sierra took advantage of our mistakes defensively, and Dustin and Rogelio struggled to hit spots and left the ball over the middle of the plate, which Sierra took advantage of,” Hager said.

Tinsley struck out seven, allowed five hits, walked three, and surrendered three runs in his five and 1/3 innings.

Offensively, Senior Mi’Son Coilton doubled and had two RBI. Senior Christian Cortes had one hit and scored one run.

“We didn’t play bad today,” Hager said. “We just need to have more energy and desire on Thursday.”

Editors note:  any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is prohibited