Boys Basketball Drops Season Opener

The Weston Ranch boys basketball team opened the 2019-2020 season on Saturday, and there was one word to describe the outcome: shocking. That was the only way to describe the result. As spectators left the gymnasium at Modesto Christian last Saturday, most were disappointed the Cougars couldn’t pull out the victory.

The Cougars took on Dougherty Valley of San Ramon and watched the Wildcats race out to an early 18-8 first-quarter lead. And as the Cougars fought back brilliantly in the 2nd quarter to take a 31-29 lead into halftime, WR was not ready for what DV had in mind for the second half.

Dougherty Valley, coming off a respectable 19-9 record in 2018-2019, used a 16-0 run to open the 3rd quarter and never looked back. The Wildcats put up double digits in all four quarters and held the Cougars to under double figures in two quarters. Again, for what the Cougars brought in with them, they couldn’t answer the hot shooting of the Wildcats. Dougherty Valley made 11 out of 18 three-point baskets and converted 21 out of 26 free throws. The Cougars, on the other hand, struggled all night to find consistency on both the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. Every time the Cougars looked like they would find that spark fans were so used to last year, a Cougar foul or Cougar turnover or a big Dougherty Valley 3-pointer quieted any chance at a rally from the Cougars. But, it’s difficult to overcome a hot-shooting team who shoots 61% from 3-point land, and the Cougars ultimately found that out after the buzzer went off.

As the Cougars cut into DV’s first-half lead, the confidence started to come back. Donjae Lindsey cut the Wildcat lead to three with a big dunk, and Gavin Wilburn drained a big 3-point basket to tie the game with 37 seconds left in the first half. The Cougars would get the lead with time running out and ran off the court at halftime, thinking they had things worked out, and Dougherty Valley looked like their shooting magic was fading. But then the second half began…

Dougherty Valley came out firing and went on a 16-0 run. The Cougars finally scored at 2:41 left in the third quarter. The Cougars did manage to cut the lead down to seven points as the 3rd quarter wound down, but DV went on another run, and that was pretty much it for Weston Ranch.

For the Cougars, Donjae Lindsey led WR with 17 points and six rebounds. Gavin Wilburn added 16, and Jordahn Johnson rounded out the Cougar scoring with 9.

The Cougars will get their second chance for their first win tonight as they take on Edison. Tip-off is at 8pm, and the game is in the Cougar Gymnasium.