Tennis Nets First League Victory

The WRHS Tennis team got their first victory against East Union last Tuesday. After two losses where wins were tough to get, the netters rose up and took down the Lancers 6 games to 3.

It was a back and forth tussle in the beginning as each school won two and lost two, knotting the competition at two games apiece. However, as the matches continued, the Cougars separated themselves and took home the win thanks to strong singles play where the Cougars won four out of six games.

Notable singles players with hard-fought wins were Sarisha Jacobs, Ali Arevalo, Chandni Singh, Bolu Laseinde. The doubles teams of Parneet Kaur and Ninh Ngo and Manvir Kaur and Amayah Jackson both came back from deficits and locked down wins propelling the Cougars to the overall match victory.

The Cougars are now 1-5 on the season.

The outcome was a significant victory for the team as they have struggled early to win matches. Playing in the tough VOL doesn’t make matters any more comfortable, but the resolve and determination of the players are what Coach Cerezo enjoys about coaching this group.

“If you have a strong will, everything will be easier,” Cerezo told his team.

Cerezo hopes this victory gives them confidence and momentum for the season’s remainder. Despite the recent losses, the team is still in high spirits and ready for anything.

The Cougars will be on the road for their next match on September 17th against Oakdale.