Senior Wrestlers Celebrated at Sierra

Cougar Wrestling has a night to remember!!

The Cougar wrestling team had their Senior Night held at Sierra High School last Wednesday, January 23rd and the team made the most of their big night. The event was not held in the Cougar’s home school of Weston Ranch, sadly due to a schedule that seems to have been somewhat bothersome throughout the season.

Senior Wrestling captain Justin Ordner stated, “I feel like the matches went great, but I just wish we could have had them here.”  This season has been a bit troubling for most of the seniors and younger wrestlers. Fewer matches, fewer home events, and a small number of wrestlers took a toll on the team’s morale, but they have not let those issues stop them.

Senior Ron Mendoza won both of his matches on their big night, with both of his competitors being in a higher weight class. Senior Night was not the only big moment of the evening, however. Sophomore Wrestler Claritza Uribe surprised members of her team when she wrestled tough against a competitor who was much more experienced and scored her very first “takedown” of the season.  Unfortunately, Uribe was unable to finish the match due to an injury.

Coach Reyes reflected, “To me, I feel bad that the seniors didn’t get to wrestle at their school, but I’m happy to see them improve through their efforts.” This night was very special to the seniors and underclassmen alike being their last match day before they reach the VOL Championships.

Ron Mendoza, Justin Ordner, and Nick Mescardo

VOLS will be held at East Union High School on February 2nd. The team’s captains Justin Ordner, Ron Mendoza, and Nick Mascardo have high hopes for their team. Coach  Reyes hopes to get as many Cougar students and families there as possible to support.