Esports Smashes Sterne High School in Latest Online Clash

The Weston Ranch Super Smash Bros Ultimate Esports team defeated Sterne High School of San Francisco 2-0 yesterday. The SSBU team of Diego Rodriguez, Ronald Escobedo, Devin Raynon Day, Elias Bracken, and Vincent Aspuria put together an impressive string of victories on their way to the win. 

“One thing about the game – the team had accomplished its mission,” Rodriguez said. 

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a crossover fighting game where players must knock their opponents off a platform. Players assume characters’ identities, attack enemies, gain power-ups, and do many other things hoping they will be the last ones standing. Esports live stream the games via the Twitch platform and connect with their opponents connect to play online. It is a challenge to play online against opponents you can’t see, but that’s the fun of Esports.

“If the kids put their minds to it, they can do anything,” said coach Rebecca Hunter.  

Everyone from Sterne High School and Weston Ranch fought extremely well and had great fun. The Weston Ranch players played the following characters in Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Kirby, Cloud, King K. Rool, Joker, and Sora. 

“Sterne tried its best against Weston Ranch,” said Day. “I hope to see the other team improve (during the game) in Smash Bros and their characters.” 

The game was nearly flawless for Weston Ranch, although it was a struggle due to Sterne High School trying its most brutal fighting back. Nevertheless, both rounds resulted in a win for the Ranch, and an extra match was for practice between the two teams. 

“We practice, we do our best, and we get the win. That’s all we need to do in life,” said Esports club president Ryan Hunter.

Esports is more than just playing video games. The training involved takes commitment and perseverance. While less physical than other sports, the mental aspect of the game is where most of their training lies. Players must practice strategy and stay focused. It’s a battle, and players have to overcome obstacles to achieve victory, just like the goals of other sports.

“You have to learn from your mistakes to improve your chances of winning,” said Bracken.

The Prowl wishes to thank the Esports team for sharing today’s game with us. If you want to keep yourself updated and see what our Cougars Esports team will be up to next, you can see them on their Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/wrhscougars. If you wish to see their Twitter, it will be @WRHSEsports. If you want to see their Instagram, it will be @esportsranch.