Girls Volleyball Gets Victory Against Vikings

Isabelle+Mayorca
Isabelle Mayorca

The Weston Ranch Varsity Girls volleyball team beat Edison HS, 3-2, last night in another marathon game for the Cougars. Trailing two games to one, Weston Ranch rallied to win games four and five to take the victory.

The Cougars won by scores of 25-23, 21-25, 17-25, 25-19, and 15-11.

Jr. Annabelle Mayorca contributed 42 assists over the five-game match, which helped the Cougars avenge a 3-0 lopsided loss to the Vikings in their first SJAA match back on August 30.

Isabell Mayorca had 11 kills and eight digs. Anisa Hekimian piled up 26 kills and added eight blocks.

It was the second five-game match the Cougars played in the past two days. The Cougars took SJAA leader Linden to five games on September 20 but fell short, losing 3-2. However, the Cougars were on the winning side this time and knocked off the second-place Vikings, coming back to win after trailing two games to one.

“I’m really proud of how the girls have pushed themselves the last two matches,” said head coach James Short. “We’ve improved in every game aspect, especially service receives and overall defense.”

With the win, the Cougars improved to 4-4 in the SJAA and 7-7 overall.

Weston Ranch’s JV also won their match 2-1 over the Vikings, stopping a two-game losing SJAA losing streak. The Freshman also won, defeating Edison HS 2-1.

The Cougars will be back on the court and face Bear Creek High School on September 27 at Weston Ranch. Freshman will play at 5; JV at 6; and Varsity at 7 p.m.