New Cougar Mural To Express School Spirit

New mural and newer art work set for athletic building

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

Cedric Leung and Kurt Acosta, News Reporters

By Cedric Leung and Kurt Acosta

By the time the graduating Class of 2018 returns from summer vacation, these students, and all of Weston Ranch, will be welcomed home to campus with something worth a double take.

Weston Ranch High School will receive an artistic makeover to an area that’s been barely altered since 2006, the school’s exterior mural and additional walls of the school’s athletic facilities.

Originally, this idea was introduced by the Class of 2016, according to school officials, but was put into play by Principal Francine Baird, who wanted to make sure it happened. Principal Baird contacted Chad Hunter Studio, a company known for its work on school murals within the Manteca Unified School District including Sierra High School and East Union High School.

Current plans are to implement the improvements which include creating a new school spirit mural in as early as three months, and at the latest, immediately at the end of this school year.

“The current mural is dated and old,” said Weston Ranch Athletic Director Jason Furtado. “We had the opportunity to redo it earlier, but it was cheaper to just do a new one.”

When asked how much it would cost, Furtado said the work would total between $5000 to $7000.

According to Furtado, there will be an updated main mural, accompanied by a newly decorated café to promote a greater sense of “Cougar Pride,” and an improved snack bar and bathroom area around the football field. There will also be a paint touch-up applied to the gym to make it look a little nicer.

This change is very exciting for the school and because of it, there is a sense of school pride that can come from it. After all, the school is getting a better look so the students, and even the teachers, attending it will have a campus that is much easier on the eyes. There even will be Cougar-related decorations around the school in select areas.

So far, according to a School Spirit poll on The Prowl Web site, 44 percent of readers felt that “Cougar PRIDE” was the best phrase of four different ways to express support for school. In striking distance at 41 percent was “Cougar Nation,” with “Home of the Cougars” with 13 percent, and “Cougar Country” coming in at the tail end at two percent.

Students are encouraged to contribute their own suggestions to promote school pride. Student contributions can be sent to The Prowl at [email protected] Some of those suggestions will be included in our next issue of The Prowl.