Cougars Tame Top 10 Titans in 79-48 Blowout

Weston Ranch beat Chavez High School 79-48 last night in a Varsity boys basketball game at Weston Ranch. The win improved the Cougars overall record to 8-9 and 4-1 in the SJAA. It was total domination from the opening tip until the final buzzer against a team The Stockton Record mentioned as a top-10 school in San Joaquin County.

After experiencing stinging losses against some of the area’s and Nation’s best earlier this year, the Cougars find life in the SJAA very favorable. Weston Ranch has collected four SJAA wins and scored 342 points since their SJAA opening loss to Edison and given up 183. But, as its opponents are finding out, Weston Ranch is focused and ready to put the past behind them in a big way.

“I believe we’re finally beginning to put together quality stretches of consistent play,” said head coach Nicholas Podesta. “In the early part of the season, we struggled to put together consistent quality days of practice, which usually worked against us in games with an inability to put together back-to-back quality quarters and halves. With the caliber of competition we were facing early in the season, you can’t afford “bad quarters,” so we lost quite a few close games early on.”

And it looks like, for now, those bad days are distant memories.

In last night’s game, Weston Ranch got double-digit scoring from five players. Elijah Mobley led the scoring with 21 points. His effort was supported by Elliot Mobley, 12 points; Richard Banks, 11 points; Khristian Holmes, 10 points; Darion Lilly, 10 points. Those five players alone outscored the entire Chavez team by 16 points.

Defensively, the Cougars applied constant pressure and eventually got the Titans to tap out. Weston Ranch grabbed 34 defensive rebounds and collected 17 steals. Again, as teams are finding out, giving the Cougars 51 possessions after missed shots and steals is not a good plan. However, as the Cougars improve at finishing games, the challenge remains to improve. And for Podesta, it all comes down to better practices, efficient game plans, and total focus on and off the court.

“I think it’s all started in practice and keeping things competitive,” Podesta said. “We’ve had some solid practices as of late, and we’re beginning to reap the rewards of our hard work outside of gamedays. We continue improving daily and need to keep this momentum moving forward.”

The Cougars will get another chance to improve and win when they take on Franklin High School this Friday at Franklin.