Weston Ranch Names Valedictorian and Salutatorian for Class of 2022

Valedictorian Veronica Sotelo and Salutatorian Wendy Contreras Martinez

As May began, the Seniors of Weston Ranch High School started their countdown to Commencement. Finally, the end of four long yet glorious years of high school is in their sights, and it’s time to make plans for whatever is next. But before they switch the tassels from the right side to the left and head out of the stadium one last time as Cougars, they will hear from two of the top students in the Class of 2022.

Weston Ranch High School announced Seniors Veronica Sotelo and Wendy Contreras Martinez received the annual Valedictorian and Salutatorian honors for 2022 yesterday in the school library. Surrounded by family and friends, Sotelo and Martinez celebrated their dedication, hard work, and perseverance over the past four years.

The class Valedictorian is the student who has the highest rank in a graduating class. The class Salutatorian is the student who ranks second behind the Valedictorian. To help honor both of them and show them they are appreciated and valued, Principal Troy Fast gathered his administration team, counselors, and teachers to assist in presenting their honors. Then, in a grand but brief ceremony, each student, surrounded by their families, received their certificates and flowers and listened to a few very poignant thoughts by some of their teachers.

Sotelo is this year’s Valedictorian. If ever there was a student destined for this honor, it was Sotelo. As the crowd gathered around Veronica, we learned how dedicated, driven, friendly, and compassionate she is. Sotelo maintained a 4.25 GPA, but she also was very active on the campus outside of the classroom walls. Sotelo was a member of be.Vital, the Key Club, JROTC, BOBA Club, and a member of WRHS’s proud orchestra and band. She shined in her first year of JROTC, and it was apparent that she was destined to succeed in this challenging opportunity.

“Veronica is an intelligent and proactive student who has contributed immensely to the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program,” said JROTC Senior Instructor Michael Cerezo. “A first-time cadet, she has excelled in all facets of JROTC as a senior – academic curriculum, drill competition, physical fitness training, and community service.”

Wendy Contreras Matinez is this year’s Salutatorian. While this honor technically means she was second place, the award in no way means Martinez is second to anyone. From academics to campus involvement to clubs, Martinez excelled. Like Veronica, Wendy was dedicated, determined, driven, and highly successful in everything she did at Weston Ranch.

Contreras Martinez maintained a 4.25 GPA and was also very active in clubs and athletics in her four years. She was a MECha, Key Club, Orchestra member, and co-president of WRHS’s CSF. She also played basketball and was a member of the swim team.

“Wendy is a go-getter,” said her counselor Muang Saechao. “She takes the initiative in her education and is not afraid to pursue her dreams. She is persistent and follows through on tasks and assignments. Wendy is not only brilliant but is dedicated, humble, hardworking, and courageous, and she is not afraid to go out of her comfort zone.”

Some students you know will be successful. Some students you know will be great. Veronica Sotelo and Wendy Contreras Martinez are both, and we congratulate and celebrate both today.

Veronica Sotelo and family
Wendy Contreras Martinez and family

any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is discouraged.

Photos courtesy of The Prowl