BOYS BASKETBALL: Cougars Run Over Raiders

Junior Elijah Mobley connected on 13 shots and scored 32 points to help Weston Ranch run over the Central Catholic Raiders 79-66 in last night’s high school basketball game at Central Catholic High School.

After leading by two at halftime (33-31), the Cougars scored 49 second-half points to claim their 15th win overall and 7th VOL victory. Helping out Mobley’s 32 was his brother, Elliot, who tossed in a robust 21 and sophomore Richard Banks with 14.

The Cougars managed only 39 shots from the floor and knocked down 19. However, the Cougars shined from the free-throw line going 17-19. Free throw shooting for the Cougars has been a struggle for them as they shoot 62% from the stripe, but last night’s 89% performance from the line was solid and the main reason they kept the Raiders from any late rallies.

Although they hit their scoring average of 79, it was defensively where Weston Ranch earned their win. The Cougs collected 19 defensive rebounds (33 overall), had 16 steals, and forced 8 Central Catholic turnovers. Intense pressure and creating takeaways are the staples of Cougars basketball, and opponents can’t afford to give the Cougars any extra chances if they hope to remain close. Last night, the Cougars showed again that their challenging pre-season schedule and ability to go 10-deep helps them play tough VOL teams like Central Catholic. Last night’s win was the first for Weston Ranch over the Raiders since the 2018-2019 season and a well-earned and signature win for the Cougs.

The Cougars can enjoy this for now but need to put the win in the rearview mirror because they will face the defending VOL Champion Raiders again on February 2 at Weston Ranch.