BOYS SOCCER: Cougars Corral Mustangs

The Weston Ranch Cougars boys soccer team beat Oakdale High School 3-1 January 12 at Oakdale. The Cougars (14-3-3 overall and 4-0-1 VOL) bounced back after Monday’s emotional tie game with East Union and returned to their winning ways with the victory over Oakdale.

Josemaria “Choche” Barrera got things started with a goal in the 36th minute with Alexis Chavez’s assistance. Barrera’s added his second goal of the night in the 43rd minute of play, and the Cougars were up 2-0 early in the second half. Chavez knocked home the Cougars’ third goal three minutes after Barrera’s second goal and was assisted by Barrera, and the Cougars were on their way to sealing the 3-1 win.

Barrera has been on a goal-scoring tear as of late. He scored two goals in the game against East Union and two against Oakdale. His efforts have helped fill in for leading goal scorer Angel Zapata because the Cougars have been without their top goal scorer the past two games.

Chavez continues his consistent play for the Cougars as well. His goal was his eleventh of the year, and his assist on Barrera’s goal was his sixth.

“This was a good performance in all facets of the game,” head coach Francisco Cisneros told The Prowl. “We connected well in the buildup and finished on goal. Defensively we were solid all game.”

The Cougars face first place Sierra High School tonight at Sierra. Midfield kick-off is scheduled for 6:45.