FCCLA Looks to Help New and Expecting Moms

This year FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America) has chosen to create a baby shower in a box for teen moms and disadvantaged new moms in the Weston Ranch community. FCCLA will organize the donated items and place them in boxes. During November, Cougars are highlighting the word “United” for their Cougars Rising program. FCCLA’s idea is an excellent example of this.

“We would like the entire school to participate and be united in giving a much-needed gift to celebrate the new babies,” said FCCLA adviser Ms. Wayman.

Below is a list of the items that they will include in the boxes. Wayman asked for new items only and no hand-me-downs. Anyone wishing to donate items may turn them drop them off in Room 903. The deadline is November 19.

receiving blankets
hooded bath towels
baby quilt
burp cloths
onesies
pacifiers
baby socks
baby mittens
hats
Baby nail clippers,
nasal aspirator, etc.
baby wipes
newborn diapers
baby lotion
diaper rash ointment
baby washcloths
baby wash
baby shampoo
Baby gift wrap to cover the layette box

Inspiration for this fantastic idea came from the students, and they wanted to help new mothers since some do not have friends, people, or anything to help support them in their anxious and stressful times.

“Every year, our FCCLA students do community service to help new mothers and upcoming mothers to prepare for that change,” FCCLA adviser Ms. Wayman said. “To prepare for how to take care of your children and help them take care of theirs. The students are a dedicated group of people towards this cause.”