Donjae’ Lindsey Named Male Athlete of the Year

Donjae+Lindsey
Donjae Lindsey

Athletics returned in 2021, and the pandemic shortened seasons for each sport forced schools to navigate tremendous challenges to get athletes back in the game. In addition to schools facing the challenges, the athletes were asked to perform extraordinary feats in a short amount of time. We expected more from the student-athletes, and that’s why the Weston Ranch High School recognized the school’s most outstanding high school student-athletes for their athletic excellence, academic achievement, and exemplary character. For those reasons, Senior Donjae’ Lindsey received the most prestigious honor for Weston Ranch High School sports: the 2020-2021 Male Athlete of the Year.

What more can you say about Donjae’ that has not been spoken, written, or captured on video already? In the case of “Donyeezy,” there is much more to say.

In four years, Lindsey put these items on his resume:

• A 4-year varsity basketball starter
  • A three-time basketball 1st team all-league
  • A three-time basketball All-area 1st team
  • A two-time basketball all-state player

He set the record for most points scored in a basketball game (43 vs. Sierra). He was a VOL championship team member, a section championship team member, and a NorCal State championship team member. And that’s just basketball.

Lindsey also played three years of Varsity volleyball, where he was part of a VOL championship in 2019.  

To say Lindsey is an exceptional athlete is a huge understatement. To say he is a young man with extraordinary character is not doing justice to his accomplishments.  

“I have a great appreciation for the years I was able to be Donjae’s coach,” former Cougars basketball head coach Chris Teevan said. “From the time I met him as a middle school kid to the young adult he is today, his maturation as a player and person has been incredible to watch. I’m thankful for his family and am looking forward to watching him succeed in the future.”

The Cougars played five basketball games this Spring. Teammates and fans didn’t get to see everything Lindsey should have accomplished this year as a basketball player. However, the night he set the record for most points was truly remarkable and memorable for those in attendance.

“Donjae’ had a tremendous career at Weston Ranch,” interim head basketball coach Edward Menzel said. “He was a crucial factor in helping Weston Ranch basketball make the jump from the section level to NorCal/State level. Watching him go off the other night was a small glimpse of the season he would have had this year and was an extraordinary moment to witness.”

On the other hand, there is the other side of Lindsey not many people got to see off the court. While he was amazing to watch on the basketball court, he was equally impressive to watch as a student and young person. He is intelligent, humble, and compassionate. Lindsey filled the classroom with brightness. When he walked in, students took notice. Yes, because he was a star and because when he spoke, we wanted to listen. A true leader doesn’t have to be vocal as Lindsey is very quiet and reserved, but his aura captured the room, and when he spoke, students followed his messages. Lindsey proved you could be great at two things: You can be great as an athlete, and you can be great as a human being.

“Donjae played volleyball his sophomore year,” said boys volleyball head coach Deborah Chavez. “He was really just there to learn the sport and have fun in his off-season. I think he learned to love the game and how much fun it was. He has so much untapped potential when it comes to volleyball. He could be just as good with volleyball as he is with basketball. He’s also a great teammate. Always cheering, learning, and positive. Someone you want on your team.”

The only thing for us to know is what’s next for Donjae’?  

“I’m still undecided on a college for next year,” Lindsey told The Prowl. “My career at Weston Ranch was fun and had its ups and downs, but it was fun. I thank my coaches from AAU and in high school. I thank my family for pushing me and believing in me, and I thank my teammates for riding through with me.”

While we celebrate Donjae’ and his accomplishments on the courts, we need to admire his modesty. Yes, he was a great individual player, but the way he made his teammates, coaches, and everyone around him better is genuinely the best way to measure a person’s success.  

Dwayne Johnson once said, “I’m always asked, ‘What’s the secret to success?’ But there are no secrets. Be humble. Be hungry. And always be the hardest worker in the room.” In the case of Donjae’ Lindsey, this is the perfect definition.