Seniors Get a Sweep Against Ripon

Senior+Night
Senior Night

The Weston Ranch High School boys volleyball team wrapped up their season yesterday. On a night dedicated to four Seniors, the Cougars responded with a thrilling 3-game sweep of Ripon High School and won 25-22, 25-20, and 25-14.

Seniors Justin Nepocuceno, Chris Lopez, Surpreet Singh, and Donjae Lindsey took the floor for the last time for Cougars, and each Senior made their mark on the game’s outcome. Nepomuceno wowed the crowd with his serves, blocks, and spikes. Lopez was steady at the net and set up his teammates with perfect assists. Singh provided thunderous first serves and worked hard at the net with his blocking. Lindsey’s front-line play was exciting as he encouraged Ripon to hit away from him with his blocks and spikes. It was a great night for all four.

“We never had a full practice as a team,” head coach Debbie Chavez told The Prowl. “As a team, we had three practices and three games. Some members of the team were playing other sports, and we had to wait for them. Ending like this tonight was perfect.”

Weston Ranch finished the year 1-2. However, the record doesn’t reflect the team’s heart, soul, and commitment during the pandemic shortened season. The spirit and joy displayed by the team was the best part of watching yesterday’s sweep of Ripon. To see the players and coaches having fun and just enjoying the opportunity to play was what fans in the stands would remember.

“It was fun while it lasted,” Senior Nepomuceno said. “I will miss the game and this team. We had fun, and that was what mattered the most to me.”

Singh agreed with Neopmuceno’s sentiments.

“It was great to be playing again,” said Singh. “It was a nice season for us. Cougar volleyball has a nice foundation, and hopefully, next year’s team will get to play longer and continue the tradition.”

That tradition will get another shot next Spring, and it’s one Chavez can’t wait to continue.

“We were a young team this year,” Chavez said. “The players coming back next year are eager to learn and great to coach. To come as far as we did in the short amount of time we had gives me hope for the future.”

If last night’s win was an indication of what’s to come, Spring can’t arrive soon enough.

Editors note:  any reproduction of this story without permission from The Prowl is prohibited