Choose Happiness over Pettiness

As if we don’t have enough to worry about in our world, adding pettiness to our daily lives seems to be a waste of our time. For the past year (March 2020 to the present day), our lives have been saturated with COVID, quarantines, lockdowns, political unrest, mass shootings, and senseless violence. There are injustices in the world right now that are very difficult to fathom and explain. Right now, we need to work together. We need to lift each other up. We need to be empathetic. We need to be less judgmental.

However, even as the world shows us that things are just too difficult to process, there are still people who will place themselves first and bog down those of us who choose to be happy. Why? Is it to make yourself feel better? Is it to show that you are superior? Is it just because the world has taught us the past year that blaming someone else for your flaws is justifiable? I don’t know.

It seems to us that jealousies and insecurities prevent progress. When someone is successful, there are people out there who will try to drag you down and tear you up for it. Covering up your insecurities and jealousies by attacking someone’s innocence is never the right thing to do. Sadly, our world is like that now.

But, the world is worth fighting for. If someone tries to bring you down, battle for what you think is the right thing to do. If someone says they’re probably more intelligent than you, let them believe that. By holding onto your values, and living your life the way you think it should be lived, eventually, the people who talk about you will fade away. When you set a good example, the people you care about and who care about you will notice and follow.

Respect isn’t something you get. Respect is earned. However, some people will never respect you, but that’s ok. Be satisfied with the person you are and live your life. Life’s not easy, and there will always be people who attack your character. That’s ok. There are two ways to show people who you are. Which one are you?