Teens Share The Benefits and Drawbacks of Social Media

Teens can use social media to set up online identities, communicate with others, and form social networks. These networks can be highly beneficial to teens, especially those excluded socially, who have disabilities or suffer from chronic illnesses.

Teenagers also use social media for entertainment and self-expression. Besides this, the platforms can educate teens on various topics, including healthy behaviors, by exposing them to current events, interacting across physical barriers, and revealing current events. Comedic or distracting social media and social media that provide a meaningful connection to peers and an extensive social network may help teens avoid depression.

On the other hand, social media use can harm teenagers, as it can distract them, disrupt their sleep, and expose them to bullying, rumor spreading, unrealistic views of other people’s lives, and peer pressure. Further research has found a link between excessive social media use and depression or anxiety symptoms. Greater social media use, nighttime social media use, and emotional investment in social media such as feeling upset when unable to log on were all linked to poor sleep quality and higher levels of anxiety and depression in a 2016 study of more than 450 teenagers.

Parents should talk about social media with teens. Talk to your teen about how to avoid letting social media interfere with his or her activities, sleep, meals, or homework. Encourage a bedtime routine that avoids electronic media use and keep cellphones and tablets out of teens’ bedrooms. Set an example by following these rules yourself. Let your teen know that you’ll be checking his or her social media accounts regularly. It would help if you tried to do it at least once a week. Make sure you complete the task.