New Farming Laws Spark Protests in India

Last fall, it was reported that the Indian government passed three laws that many farmers don’t like. This country has the reputation of having the world’s largest democracy, population of 1.3 billion, and a majority of those people make a living with agriculture. For the longest time, the Indian government made the farmers go through an auction. Even though they had to go through this process just to be able to sell what they’ve been growing, they also earned a guaranteed minimum price.  

Now that they’re being given the opportunity to compete in an emerging market with other higher class companies, they’d be relying on whether the stores or other state would even want or need their crops. The opportunity cost for being able to be in a competition with other companies was they now don’t have the one thing that was guaranteed. This is all important because if bigger organizations are part of the competition, it’s always going to be the big fish eating all the little fish. It’s just the way our world is set up, realistically speaking.  

It’s also possible for the prices of the crops to drop even lower than what farmers were getting with the minimum price. Up to now, this issue is still occurring and it’s important to bring attention to this topic so we can all, sooner or later, come up with a solution to it, or even a compromise that would benefit everybody. If this conflict with the government VS. the nation doesn’t get resolved, the peaceful protests, will most likely soon start to become more and more violent because many peoples’ lives and the way they live will be affected. These protests are their way of trying to be heard by the government.