The Dangers of Peer Pressure

The influence of peer pressure is big today. Peer pressure, the direct influence on people by peers or the effect on an individual who gets encouraged to follow their peers by changing their attitudes, values, or behaviors to conform to those of the influencing group or individual, can lead anyone to engage in activities that they witness other people doing, or their peers have normalized, such as drugs, alcohol, and actions. Many people fall under peer pressure because they do not have the coping skill to communicate effectively. This may be why people often engage in destructive behaviors.

The influence of others is dangerous because it can lead to a destructive path in your life. People often say they will try something once but often get addicted to the point where they lose everything, including family and their homes. It can affect a person’s behavior and attitudes, as well as it is a distraction from school.

When someone says no to something, they will get talked into it, which is the definition of peer pressure. Even though you decide what you do, some people will use it against you, saying that they won’t talk to you again if you don’t do anything. It gets to the person’s head and leads them to do something they never wanted to do in the first place. That is why it is dangerous.

Source: What Is Peer Pressure and Does It Lead to Addiction? (verywellmind.com)