Trying to Make Sense of Hybrid Learning

As a sophomore, I finally had the opportunity to experience this school year on a physical campus this week. It was different, most certainly an adjustment. I wouldn’t say I like going to school because I have adapted to distance learning and have an at-home schedule and routine, just as I would have if this pandemic didn’t occur. I have a routine I enjoy, and the hybrid model 2.0 makes me dislike coming back onto campus. I don’t want to change and rotate my life schedule around for a brief time when it is optional.

COVID is more harmful in the community and spreading much more quickly, and I prefer not to be contaminated with this virus. Although I remain cautious and safe on campus, I would feel much better at home. I enjoyed the two-day experience to test my options, but I don’t want that option.

At school, I feel alone and isolated. The isolation isn’t a significant drastic change from the previous school year because I would much rather enjoy roaming the halls by myself with my earphones in my ears. Now, I enjoy being alone, but I am comfortable being alone somewhere, such as my home’s comfort. Seeing faces I haven’t seen in awhile triggered memories I forgot I had made on the school campus. It was hard to process how long we have been out of this environment and how it’s being given to us so quickly and freely.

While precautions are being taken, I do not see the relevance of coming back not even halfway through the year or at a random point. It would be more realistic if the students came back in January and the teachers had these two months to prep and prepare for themselves. It all seems too fast. It was an experience to remember, and I can say I attended school during a pandemic.