Among Us Becomes Wildly Popular

Are videogames teaching kids how to be better at lying? 

As many of you well know, there’s a game that many young people are playing called, Among Us.  Among Us is an American science-fiction murder mystery game developed and published by Innersloth on June 15, 2018, for IOS and Android and on August 18, 2018, on PC at Steam (among-us.fandom.com). The game follows a group of crewmates that has an impostor whose goal is sabotaging their space-ship and killing everyone. The game is an online multiplayer social deduction game where a player could either be a crewmate or an impostor. The main objective is for the crewmates to identify the impostor or impostors while finishing their given tasks around the map. The impostor’s goal is to eliminate the crewmates without being identified. When somebody finds a body, they will have the option to report it. 

During this time, the players will be able to use the chat to discuss who they think is acting suspiciously. As for being the impostor, you’ll have to either go along with who the others are accusing or accuse someone before they can blame you, which would only be necessary if they saw you dispatch of a crewmate, walk out the room, leaving a deceased body behind, or venting. The longer you play this game, you start to pick up more strategies and techniques and learn how to lie better. Some impostors even self-report to avoid getting caught. Similarly, Among Us is just like playing the Boy Who Cried Wolf all over again. 

Another point of view you can take on this is that the players will eventually learn to spot out the impostors or whoever is lying easier. This skill could help you out in real-life situations, but could also be wrong on other occasions. Currently, over 100 million people play Among Us (bing.com/news), so there may be many people perfecting this skill. However, it’s a fun way to spend time in quarantine, so let’s play and try to figure out who the best liar is.