First Presidential Debate More About Interruptions Than Policies

To say the least and perhaps the obvious, many people thought that last Tuesday’s debate between Democrat nominee Joe Biden and President Donald Trump was a “mess.”

As the evening wore on, neither candidate seemed to get their points across because there was a certain lack of civility. Both candidates spoke over each other most of the evening, supported when Biden said, “will you shut up man,” a clip which has gone viral on the Internet. And it has become a hot meme among teenagers and adults alike.

However, that comment from Biden didn’t make Biden look as bad as Trump during the debate, and there is a contingent of people who now believe that Donald Trump is a white supremacist, among other things.

The debate moderator, Chris Wallace, asked President Trump if he was, “Willing to condemn white supremacists and militia groups and to say that they need to stand down and not add any violence in a number of these cities as we saw in Kenosha and we’ve seen in Portland?” and Trump’s answer didn’t exactly say that he would condemn white supremacists and responded, simply, “Sure, I’m willing to do that.” A curious statement to make if you’re the leader of the Nation and when he was asked if he would, in fact, do that, President Trump responded with, “Give me a name. Who would you like me to condemn?” (dailycaller.com).

Overall the debate got little across and was “littered by interruptions mostly by the president” and was (something) “we’ve never seen anything edifying in American presidential politics” (nbcnews.com). The antagonistic tone of the entire evening left voters with nothing substantial to grasp and hold on to. The constant bickering and noise left voters with a memory of an argument instead of a memory of two candidates talking about policy.