Varsity Basketball Bids Farewell to Seniors Tonight

Tonight’s Varsity basketball game against Manteca will be bittersweet. On the one hand, Weston Ranch will celebrate three seniors who leave the program after compiling storied careers as high school basketball players. Yet, on the other hand, WR will play tonight’s game and Friday’s finale at Sierra without a VOL title on the line. Although there is a chance the Cougars could tie with league-leading Central Catholic, should CC drop their final two games, the fact of the matter is Weston Ranch is playing for second place. Tonight’s game against Manteca is still essential for post-season seedings, but the reality for the Cougars is that the departing seniors will not have back to back VOL titles to hang their hats on. It will also be bittersweet for The Prowl as we have followed the careers of these three splendid players, and we have to say goodbye too.

We say goodbye to Titus Haley, Gavin Wilburn, and Jordahn Johnson. Haley and Wilburn have been members of the varsity all four years of their high school careers. Johnson was new to the Cougars this year, and although his stay has been brief, his contributions to the team’s success and latest run should be valued just as much. So, while it is hard to say goodbye, we say “well done” to these three outstanding young people.

The Prowl asked head coach Chris Teevan to reflect on each player, and here are some of his thoughts.

Titus Haley-“Even though we have had point guards who have statistically put up better numbers, no point guard has had an impact on our program as Titus has had the past four years. Starting at point guard as a freshman, Titus has won league and section championships, been an All VOL defender, and been a captain for the past three years of his career. He is a leader of men who we have counted on in the roughest of times to help guide us through. Titus is the ultimate extension of a coach. Based on his characteristics and work ethic, there is no doubt in my mind that Titus will be able to achieve anything he wants in his life going forward. As much as he means to myself and this program, Titus will soon be making a much broader impact on society and the world with whatever profession he chooses.”

Gavin Wilburn-“On the court, Gavin has proven over the past four years that he is not only the most accomplished player to ever wear a Weston Ranch uniform but one of the most accomplished players in Northern California history. He has lead the charge to elevate our program from good to exceptional. Gavin is a VOL champion, Section champion, Open qualifier, player of the year, MVP, and an all-state performer. Gavin’s on-court accomplishments over the past four years have helped to establish our program as one of the best in Northern California. More so than his on the court success, Gavin’s off-court progression and growth have been the most rewarding for the coaching staff. The ways he endeared other students and athletes no matter age or ability, has progressed academically, and has earned the respect of all on our campus has been Gavin’s most significant achievements. It is a testament to his mother and father, as well as himself, the amount of progress he has made in that regard. We all do not doubt that Gavin will continue to use basketball as a tool to further his life. If the past four years are any indication of how much he can grow, we are all infinitely excited to see what he does with the rest of his life.”

Jordahn Johnson-“Even though this has been the only year we have had Jordahn, he has quickly fit in with our team and culture. He has battled through adversity and has played his best basketball during league play. Jordahn is consistently ready to play and takes basketball extremely seriously.”

So, while we don’t necessarily say goodbye to Jordahn, Gavin, and Titus tonight (the Cougars still have one more after tonight and then a possible playoff run) we can do our best to say thank you.

Catch the Cougars tonight in the big gym. Pre-game ceremonies begin before the game, and the tipoff with Manteca is scheduled for 7 pm.

Gavin Wilburn
Jordahn Johnson
Titus Haley