Algebra A Students Play Games to Learn

Students in Ms. Hunter’s Algebra A classes spent the day using games to help strengthen their understandings of concepts. The students played, “Clue,” the board game where players move around the board to solve a crime of whodunnit. What the math students did was use a similar goal, but they had to use math to solve the problem.

So, why are they doing it?

“Students are practicing the skills of solving equations containing absolute values, part of common core standards,” Ms. Hunter told The Prowl. “The students’ levels of success will tell me how deep an understanding of a concept they have, and whether or not it is a concept needing reteaching (formative assessment).”

Overall, it was a fun day to explore different ways to learn, something education pundits stress to teachers as a way to increase knowledge. Students were engaged, naturally because it was required work, but also the stakes were high as Ms. Hunter offered prizes to the winners in the form of a “late homework pass,” among other treats. The students had to work together and help each other, making this project student-centered instead of the normal teacher-led activities, which can be drudgery for both students and teachers. So the math class had to be responsible for their learning, and that is where the measurement of success paid off.

“I wanted to do something a little ‘out of the ordinary’ to keep students motivated as Algebra A students tend to struggle more in math,” Hunter reflected as she spoke to us.

A simple twist on a board game created an excellent learning environment. Congrats to Ms. Hunter’s class for showing determination and resolve. Great things are happening here at Weston Ranch.