Yellow Ribbons Offer Hope, Not Harm

Yellow Ribbon Week began this week throughout all MUSD High Schools. The purpose is to spread suicide awareness and prevent suicides from happening.

For the next two weeks, a presentation and video will be presented to the members of each class at Weston Ranch High School. Seniors were the first class to attend the seminar on November 18th. The Juniors will visit today, Sophomores on Monday of next week and Freshman next Wednesday.

At the end of the presentation, each student is given a yellow card that provides information for suicide awareness, such as suicide prevention call lines. Each teacher will receive a yellow ribbon to hang on their doors to act as a reminder to students that someone is there for them. Peer resource and link crew teacher Ms. Chavez, who is the director of Yellow Ribbon Week here at Weston Ranch, helped facilitate the compelling presentations. The theme of the presentations is to help students understand there are alternatives to self-harm, and there is always someone they can talk to.

“We’d rather hear your story than read your eulogy,” Chavez said.

It’s important to remember that talking about suicide won’t make it happen, it could happen either way, but talking about it and getting it out in the open could prevent it.

Thank you to Ms. Chavez and her Peer Resource team for providing the forum. For more information, please see Ms. Chavez in room 707.