Soccer Star Robert Gonzalez Ready For Next Challenge

Flanked by his parents and coaches, Robert Gonzalez signs his letter.

Weston Ranch Senior and standout soccer player Robert Gonzalez signed a letter of intent to attend Ottawa University in Arizona where he will continue his education and play soccer. Located in Surprise, Arizona, Ottawa University will welcome Gonzalez next Fall. OUAZ is an NAIA school, which means they are a member of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, 65.000 student-athletes strong and boasting over $600 million in athletic scholarship opportunities. Roberto will become part of the OUAZ Spirit and will play games in the recently opened Spirit Stadium which holds 1200 spectators, a significant change from the smaller Weston Ranch crowds he’s used seeing in the stands.

When asked how he felt about leaving to go to Ottawa University, Robert said, “It’s going to be exciting and a good experience to be there alone.” Robert’s family is excited that he has gotten the opportunity to go to Ottawa, but they are also sad that he is going to be away. However, they recognize this is a tremendous opportunity for their son, and they welcomed this opportunity to leave as an oportunity to get new experiences in school and soccer.

Robert is going to be studying sports medicine in Ottawa. He had another choice for a school which was San Francisco State, but he preferred Ottawa University.

Gonzalez said, “Ottawa University is new, and it’s nice to be a part of a building program.” Robert hopes to grow as a person at Ottawa University. He hopes to have a good experience in Ottawa and learn new things at the school.

Best wishes and congratulations, Robert!