Cougar Sports 2017 Highlights

Joseph Ehmann, Sports Editor

At Weston Ranch High School, guys and girls achieved both as students and as athletes.

Looking back on the events of 2017, some of the best moments for Cougars athletes have been on the cross-country trail and on the basketball court.

Two runners blazed a trail of leadership, the boys’ basketball pushed the ball into the second round of playoffs and a volleyball player drove her career forward into the next level of competition.

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy
Weston Ranch student-athletes Tomas Huerta and Iris Carrillo receive their Best of the West honors from Athletic Director Jason Furtado.

Graduated seniors Iris Carrillo (’17) and Tomas Huerta (’17) were named The Best of the West by The (Stockton) Record for their seasons and careers as accomplished runners. Carrillo, who had always placed Top Ten in her races, and Huerta, who often placed Top Five in his races, left an impression on people at Weston Ranch.

When Cross Country season started again this academic year, fans got an answer to the question of “Who’s next?” to take the torch from Huerta and Carrillo. Jasmine Basco provided that answer, according to Cross Country Head Coach Felix Soto.

In an early issue of The Prowl, Soto said, “Showing great leaps in her athletic ability.” The scary thought for competitors would be that Ms. Basco is only a freshman.

On the basketball court, the boys’ team has managed to get wins when they counted. This ability propelled the Cougars into the playoffs this year for the first time since 2014. According to Head Coach Chris Teevan, the Cougars’ consistency has been something to watch.

Coming into the 2016 season, no one was sure what would become of the boys’ team. Of course, we all know they went to the second round going against a much better team. Yet, for some reason, fans might have been content with a competitive season.

But now, two years after their last title, the 2016-17 Cougars boasted an excellent team with only three seniors. We can only watch as they take on this season.

Cougar Senior Amaya Finley decided to take her volleyball skills to the next level.

Signing to a college to continue playing a sport is always an impressive feat on a sports resume. After the season ended, at the awards banquet Amaya announced her intention to sign with Iowa Central College to play on the collegiate level.

On the football field, junior Amier Bowen took his play to another level, setting school records. The quarterback set a new school passing yards record (2,556 yards) and led the league in touchdowns with 20. Bowen, and the rest of the returning team, will take direction from a new head football coach. After the 2017 season, Coach Seth Davis resigned. Davis had coached the team for the past five years.

As some programs ended, others began. In 2017, Weston Ranch fielded its first boys volleyball team, who competed against long-established squads and newer opponents.

In 2018, football is one of many sports that can expect to undergo changes. Boys volleyball enters its second year.

In the new year, Cougar boosters and committed fans should look for even more changes and improvements from student-athletes in and outside the game.