2017 Brought Changes On Campus

Cheyenne Yodong, News Editor

The year 2017 was, I would say, a continuous state of uncertainty.

Thankfully, there was less of that sense of instability here on campus, though there were notable changes.

Here is a look back on the calendar year quickly coming to an end.

January: Starting off this year, students began to work in earnest to revive Weston Ranch High School’s dormant newspaper.

February: On February 9, the debut issue of The Prowl  posted online as Weston Ranch’s first online student publication.

The first issue featured an interview with Stockton Mayor Michael D. Tubbs and stories exploring issues important to the surrounding community including Weston Ranch as a food desert and the first, on-the-record statement by the Mayor Tubbs that Stockton was a sanctuary city.

Following a departure in the school’s administrative staff, Mr. Furtado moves from serving as the Weston Ranch’s activities director and basketball coach to becoming the Cougar’s Athletic Director. Mrs. Lewis takes the helm as activities director and advisor to the Associated Student Body.

March: A very unique program called “Every 15 Minutes” (E15) showed Weston Ranch’s Class of 2017 seniors and juniors (this year’s Class of 2018) the consequences of drunk driving. Participants told The Prowl that the program had a profound effect on how they view their families and the personal decisions.

Prowl photo by Thrisha Reddy

April: News reports revealed that the Manteca Unified School District, which consists of 30 campuses, schedules at least two “random” drug searches to every campus, at a cost of roughly $12,000, according to the Manteca Bulletin.

Our Science department weathered multiple thefts. No evidence was found of the suspect(s), and no evidence was uncovered of a forced entry. Among the things that were stolen were three projectors, a 70” flat screen TV, a robot vacuum, a computer, and a snake.

May: The Class of 2017 graduated. It was kind of a big deal.

Prowl photo by Manuel Carlos

June/July: Over the summer, one of our students, passed away. Yunique Morris, 15, died July 10. The school community came together and held a campus vigil at the Football Stadium. Family and friends wore her favorite color, purple.

August: The Class of 2018 started its senior year.

September: On September, Manteca Bulletin published an article claiming a bus that left our campus was “fired upon” after a game without any evidence to support the claim. This was false. The bus hit, but there was no evidence that showed a gun was involved. In fact, the bus decided to come to a stop far away from our school, nearly reaching Lathrop. A witness later claimed to see someone throw rocks at the bus. Most importantly, no one was hurt.

Weston Ranch added new murals in 2017 on athletic buildings across campus to boost school spirit.

In September, another Weston Ranch student died. Juan Herrera Rodriquez, 16, drove a car that collided into a dump truck Sept. 13. In his memory, a short candle light vigil was held at the Football Field. White balloons that contained notes with personal memories were released in his honor.

October: Students and staff celebrated “A Tim Burton” Homecoming, clad in a hybrid mix of Halloween and Christmas clothing, centered around the theme of Burton’s emo movies.

November: A club/career technical summit hosted by the district invites representatives of the larger student organizations from different schools to talk about the benefits and ways the district can help our schools to be better. Weston Ranch students led the discussion.

Varsity Football Head Coach Seth Davis resigns ending a five-year run leading the Cougars on the gridiron and 10 years in total at Weston Ranch.

“Dumped my heart and soul into the school,” Davis told The Prowl, “and [I] wish nothing but the best for our community and school.”

A holiday food drive sponsored by FFA helped to bring a traditional Thanksgiving dinner to 15 needy families in our area.

December: A handful of organizations received a total of $14,000 from The Raymus Foundation, and Save Mart Cares. These organization consists of Baseball and Football, who will use the money for new equipment’s, and Link Crew which will go to the club advisor’s training.

Holiday music and other songs blast out of campus speakers, deafening students and staff, to mark the beginning and end of periods. The music makes up for the world’s quietest school bells. It’s an issue expected to be fixed in 2018.