Top 10 Movies of 2017: Month by Month

Luis Arias, Features Reporter

2017 marked a good year in movies. There were so many great films, it is hard to remember them all.

In this edition of The Prowl, I’m counting down my Top Ten Movies of 2017, month-by-month, so that we #NeverForget

We’re going month-to-month, January until October, the first month to the 10th month.

This isn’t going to be from worst-to-best, but rather remembering a film that did well with critics and fans from that specific month. Enjoy.

January/ Hidden Figures
Hidden Figures was a film directed by Ted Melfi and written by Melfi with Allison Schroeder.

Synopsis: Hidden Figures is about an untold story about Katherine G. Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson. These African American women were working for NASA to work on one of the operations in history. Sending John Glenn into orbit, an achievement that restored the nation’s confidence, turned around the space race, and galvanized the world.

Opinion: Hidden Figures is an interesting and fascinating story about these women who worked at NASA. Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae did an excellent job at portraying the women who helped NASA win the space race. It is a wonderful and interesting film that I recommend checking out, if possible.

February/ Get Out
Get Out is directed and written by Jordan Peele.

Synopsis: Now that Chris and his girlfriend, Rose, have reached the meet-the-parents milestone of dating, she invites him for a weekend getaway upstate with Missy and Dean. At first, Chris reads the family’s overly accommodating behavior as nervous attempts to deal with their daughter’s interracial relationship. But as the weekend progresses, a series of increasingly disturbing discoveries lead him to a truth that he could have never imagined.

Opinion: Get Out was a really cool, scary and at times, a funny movie. This film had a lot of plot twist here and there, and the characters and movie score was great. As Jordan Peele first outing on the big screen, he did a terrific job bringing tension and such. I would really recommend this film to watch if you have the chance.

March/ Logan
Logan is a film directed by James Mangold. Logan was written by James Mangold, Michael Green, and Scott Frank.

Synopsis: It’s 2029. Mutants are gone–or very nearly so. An isolated despondent Logan is drinking his days away in a hideout on a remote stretch of the Mexican Border, picking up petty cash as a driver for hire. His companions in exile are the outcast Caliban and an ailing professor X, whose singular mind is plagued by worsening seizures. But Logan’s attempts to hide front the world and his legacy abruptly end when a mysterious woman appears with an urgent request–that Logan shepherd an extraordinary young girl to safety. Soon, the claws come out as Logan must face off against dark forces and a villain from his own past on a live or die mission, one that will set the time-worn warrior on a path towards fulfilling his destiny.

Opinion: This is the finale of Hugh Jackman being as wolverine in the Fox X-men universe. Hugh Jackman does the best performance as Wolverine and of course Patrick Stewart as Professor X was done greatly. Dafne Keen as X-23 did an amazing job, especially for a child actor. This was done greatly and may I say, A great ending for The Wolverine.

April/ Sleight
Sleight is a film directed by J.D. Dillard. Sleight was written by J.D. Dillard and Alex Theurer.

Synopsis: A young street magician is left to care for his little sister after their parent’s passing and turns to illegal activities to keep a roof over their heads. When he get in too deep, his sisters is kidnapped and he is force to use his magic and brilliant mind to save her.

Opinion: One of the better movies that came out this month was interesting and good. Sleight in a way has some problems but is an enjoyable movie. Our lead star Jacob Latimore as the young street magician did an awesome job in the role. The story was pretty enjoyable with a few flaws.

May/ Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was the next installment for the Marvel Cinematic Universe (or MCU for short). This film was Directed by James Gunn.

Synopsis: The story involves a Peter and his gang protecting some batteries to send over to the Sovereign. When rockets steal some, they all get marked for execution. Luckily, they escape but not alone, as Peter finds out that a ship followed them. Inside that ship will reveal the parentage of Peter Quill.

Opinion: This movie was enjoyable than any other movies that came out this month. The actors did a great job including Kurt Russell, Michael Rooker, and Sean Gunn to name a few. The soundtrack once again was great with a few classics that anyone can tune too. The story was good with sadly a few plot holes but other than that, it was done very well thanks to James Gunn and Marvel Studios.

June/ Baby Driver
Baby Driver was a film directed and written by Edgar Wright.

Synopsis: Baby, being a talented getaway driver that uses remixes he made and music he likes to be the best driver he can be. After meeting a lady that he can only imagine being in his dreams. He tries to ditch the shady stuff he was doing to be with her and start a new life. But being stuck with one more job with his crime boss, will Baby be able to start the life he wanted or force to continue being a getaway driver.

Opinion: Was this movie a thrill ride. Honestly This is my favorite Edgar Wright movie, next to Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz. Everyone did a wonderful job, especially Edgar for the writing. Everyone felt relatable and lovable. Even the bad guys of the film makes you hope Baby can beat them or escape them. Though it has its flaws, the flaws are little to nothing compared to the goods of the film. Overall, this movie does deserve the praise from critics and audiences everywhere.

July/ War For The Planet Of The Apes
War For The Planet Of The Apes was directed by Matt Reeves and written by Mark Bomback and Matt Reeves

Synopsis: In War for the Planet of the Apes, the third chapter of the critically acclaimed blockbuster franchise, Caesar and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless Colonel. After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind. As the journey finally brings them face to face, Caesar and the Colonel are pitted against each other in an epic battle that will determine the fate of both their species and the future of the planet.

Opinion: Even though the title has the word “War” in it, it isn’t an action movie. It’s more towards the drama and emotional side of things. The CGI here in this film is great and actor Andy Serkis as Caesar did a terrific job. The story like Dawn of the planet of the apes has a structure of mirroring on how humanity is. Overall, a great film and just like the movies on this list, a must-see.

August/ All Saints
All Saints is a film directed by Steve Gomer and written by Steve Armour.

Synopsis: All Saints is based on the inspiring true story of salesman-turned-pastor Michael Spurlock, the tiny church he was ordered to shut down, and a group of refugees from Southeast Asia. Together, they risked everything to plant seeds for a future that might just save them all.

Opinion: This movie did great for a Christian-themed film. John Corbett as the salesman turned pastor Michael Spurlock did wonderful in the role. The story itself is great too how this guy doesn’t want to shut down the church but rather keep it up and help other people.

September/ Stronger
Stronger is a film directed by David Gordon Green and written by John Pollono

Synopsis: Stronger is the inspirational and heroic true-life story of Jeff Bauman, the man whose iconic photo from the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing captured the hearts of the world. Based on Bauman’s New York Times-bestselling book, co- authored with Bret Witter.

Opinion: This film is so powerful and inspirational to everyone. The story it tells, how the actors convey the emotions and how terrible life could be if you survive and lose something you need. But the movie shows that even though you lose your legs, not all hope is lost. You just have to keep on going and put effort into reforming your life. Honestly, one of my top 3 films of this year, really recommend it on DVD/Blu-ray/4k if you can.

October/ Only The Brave
Only The Brave is directed by Joseph Kosinski and written by Ken Nolan and Eric Warren Singer.

Synopsis: All men are created equal… then, a few become firefighters. Only The Brave, based on the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, is the heroic story of one unit of local firefighters that through hope, determination, sacrifice, and the drive to protect families, communities, and our country become one of the most elite firefighting teams in the country. As most of us run from danger, they run toward it–they watch over our lives, our homes, everything we hold dear, as they forge a unique brotherhood that comes into focus with one fateful fire.

Opinion: Only The Brave had a great casting and they all acted amazing. Now since this is a movie based on real events and real people, let me tell you, they did this movie right. They showed how they work together as a family rather than just a team of firefighters and how fire can be dangerous and terrifying. It also shows great balance within the story.