The Need For Net Neutrality

Paul Comauex, Features Reporter

The FCC is trying to mess with your Instagram and Snapchat.

Are you going to let them?

If not, we have to save net neutrality as it stands today.

Some of you are probably wondering what net neutrality is and why you need to save it.  

Net neutrality is fair WiFi coverage. Basically, it is the wi-fi coverage we have currently.  

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is the government-appointed agency that could change the way we use the Internet, for the worse.

The FCC are the guys – three men, two women – who regulate television, radio, satellite, and cable communication.

The FCC are unelected people with tremendous power to impact how you use Instagram, Snapchat and tons of other apps on your Android or iPhone.

If they haven’t been on your radar, they made it to animator Seth MacFarlane who based an entire episode of “Family Guy” on this agency.

Recently, our elected rep, U.S. Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) has tweeted about how this board might rule on the concept of net neutrality.

Sen. Harris tweeted an explanation of the basic idea.

“The basic principle of Net Neutrality is that access to all websites should be treated equally,” Harris stated. “What the FCC wants to do is empower broadband service provides to distort the online marketplace and set up a pay-for-play system. This would be a terrible mistake.”

Basically, the Internet is like an Information Superhighway.

Right now, all the Internet lanes move quickly, depending on how heavy the traffic may be. As things currently stand, consumers pay a single toll to merge onto the Internet.

But what if additional toll booths are set up, allowing some consumers using some apps to transfer to a faster lane depending on how much money they paid Internet providers in side deals.

This change only would benefit business owners such as Comcast, AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon.

And despite how many times Comcast has spammed social media users this week on Twitter and other services that they won’t change their Internet speeds, these companies want the right to have fast and slow lanes created by the FCC. 

What would this mean to you?

Imagine that I am an AT&T user and the Hulu streaming service has paid me handsomely to give their customers the best Internet service when watching Hulu, so that Hulu is faster than Netflix, Sling or Amazon Prime. If in fact Netflix, Sling, and Amazon provide inferior selections, you’d be dumb not to pick Hulu as a provider. To be fair, Hulu would be in their legal rights to do this if the FCC changes the current law.

This is what I don’t want to happen. And you shouldn’t want it either.

The same could be true for Instagram on Verizon.

Instagram could become so fast that Snapchat would be virtually useless on Verizon, constantly downloading and updating until you want to smash your cell phone. Or Verizon could block Snapchat or Twitter.  

This could be the new norm for any kind of business.

What if you’re a customer on Comcast and Comcast isn’t getting paid by CNN? Suddenly Anderson Cooper 360 will become Anderson Cooper 180. You’ll be forced to get your information from The Blaze or The Young Turks or Fox News or whomever is paying Comcast for “fast” Internet.

Currently, people are using the Internet – as it stands today – to sign a petition against changing net neutrality here: https://petitions.signforgood.com/ProtectNetNeutrality/

As of this week, the site needs 381,500 signatures with 311,718 signatures already done.

So, if you use Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter, please let our elected and unelected leaders (the FCC) know how you feel about net neutrality.