Neither Weinstein or Hollywood Likely To Change

Paul Comauex, Opinion Writer

Dark issues have reared their ugly heads again in Hollywood, and this time they surround sexual assault and a famous movie producer.

Harvey Weinstein, of The Weinstein Company, has been outed by multiple women in Hollywood, and was eventually ousted from the movie company that bears his name.

Actress Rose McGowan – reportedly got $100,000 settlement from Weinstein in 1997 – after McGowan starred in the modern horror standard, came hot off “Scream.” Usually when a star appeared in one of director Wes Craven’s blockbuster horror movies that actor would go far in Hollywood. An example would be Johnny Depp who got his start in a Wes Craven film titled, “A Nightmare on Elm Street.” Johnny Depp, a.k.a. Captain Jack Sparrow, is huge. And though Rose McGowan isn’t necessarily out of work in Hollywood, honestly McGowan just isn’t as big as she could’ve been.

It’s as though someone got in the way of her potential success.

According to an Oct. 18 report on Business Insider’s Web site, the settlement agreement stated that the payment wasn’t because Weinstein had done anything, but to make sure the public didn’t know anything about the case.

Now, McGowan is fighting to get the company board members of the Weinstein company get fired, she has 6,400 signatures out of the 10,000 she needs.

Multiple women have spoken out about their Weinstein attacks including Cara Delevigne, Gwyneth Paltrow (which ends with Brad Pitt allegedly confronting Harvey), Kate Beckinsdale (her assault happened when she was a minor), Eva Green and Lena Headey. These are just some of the women that have shared their stories about Harvey.

These women have encouraged many women to be open about what has happened to them while working their way up. Jennifer Lawrence, a woman who has openly considered herself to be a feminist and a woman who many girls look up to, detailed the way her assault played out years ago. Lawrence recalled that she was made to strip naked and be a part of a naked line up of women she said were, “much, much thinner.” in comparison to herself.

Allegations of sexual harassment and abuse toward celebrities aren’t limited to women. Terry Crews revealed on his Twitter account that he was groped by a Hollywood executive but couldn’t do anything because of who the man is. I guess, the idea of a 6’4” black man hitting an old rich white guy would make it difficult to identify who was actually being abused.

Years ago, former child star Corey Feldman said that who many pedophiles and rapists live within Hollywood during his interview with Barbara Walters. How many people took Feldman seriously? Yet, look where we are in 2017.

Hollywood needs an overhaul.

Harvey Weinstein isn’t the only rich guy to abuse his power.

People are hoping this scandal will change things but I don’t believe anything will get better anytime soon.

When Terry Crews shared his story, he didn’t share names. Neither did Reese Witherspoon or Jennifer Lawrence. I believe in order to change things for the better, abusive men need to suffer.

Roman Polanski, a man who was charged with five counts of rape against Samantha Gailey a 13-year-old girl, lives in France to avoid countries that might extradite him to the United States.

Recently, The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences banned Weinstein but not Polanski and that is the issue. Until they get rid of people and a system that allows these kinds of things, then they will continue to happen. I hope that Hollywood finds a way to help the women affected and gets rid of the perverts that seem to be running the place.