Amazon Could Bring, Mean The World to Weston Ranch

Online Groceries Could Lead The Ranch Out of the Food Desert

Sarai Ramos, Opinion Writer

A nearby Amazon.com warehouse could open up the availability of fresh foods in Weston Ranch via drone.

Well-stocked shelves at Whole Foods, a grocery chain recently purchased by Amazon.

The Prowl Staff
Sometimes the demand is greater than the supply at Food 4 Less in Weston Ranch.

I’d just bought my iPhone 7 when I realized that I still needed to buy a 2-inch adapter.

I didn’t know where to buy it. So, I asked my uncle. His response: “Go online and get it on Amazon.”

I went online and searched for the adapter. The prices were lower than what I saw in stores but I didn’t want to wait for it to come in the mail. It was interesting looking through Amazon and looking at all different variety of items I didn’t think they’d even have it online.

Technology has had an impact in many aspects of our lives including our shopping habits and trends. Because of online shopping, streaming and apps available on most devices, many competing companies with so-called “brick and mortar” stores have closed-down.

Remember Blockbuster and Hollywood Video? Radio Shack?

Earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal reported that mega-childhood powerhouse Toys ‘R Us has declared bankruptcy, though the company pledged to keep its stores open at least one more Christmas.

Then again, there will be at least an Amazon store opening in Stockton.

One of those warehouses, a new facility built by the eighth largest employers in the U.S, will be coming to our area that could have a major impact on the economic and dietary lives of people in Weston Ranch.

The economic impact would come from Amazon’s new facility that will take up nearly 600,000 sq. feet and will deliver roughly 1,000 full-time jobs ranging from warehouse associate and process assistant to shipping and receiving shift assistant. Anyone 18 or older will be able to apply for a job online.

The dietary impact could come from Amazon’s ability to provide groceries to Weston Ranch residents from Whole Foods, now a company owned by Amazon. That could make a big change in a neighborhood that is technically a “food desert” due to its lack of nearby grocery stores. There is only one grocery store in the Weston Ranch neighborhood, Food-4-Less, an issue that’s previously been covered by The Prowl https://cougarprowl.net/583/news/life-in-the-food-desert/

Could we see Amazon drones take flight over EWS Woods and William Moss Boulevards? 

While this warehouse ultimately will bring a positive change to our area, the question remains if our new online economy has done more to help or harm the American workforce.

Although Amazon is a large online shopping service it is also known for its kindle E-reader and online streaming service, Amazon Prime.

Besides Amazon Prime, one of the best overall streaming service now is Netflix which started 20 years ago as a subscription-based DVD service that mailed DVD’s to your home.

Before there were companies such as Hollywood Video and Blockbuster that were video rental shops with many new movies, video games and pre-recorded TV shows.

Most people in the last decade prefer having a streaming service in their home ready to choose from many different titles rather than driving to the nearest video rental place.

Not only has online streaming thrived and become a habit, online shopping is now also big trend. Some online shoppers think that a laptop is much easier and faster than physically going into the store to look for something you might not even find.